In his book, Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time, Kieth Ferrazi gives advice on building and maintaining your network. They include simple networking tips, to subtle changes in how you communicate to make you more successful in life and business.
We’ve outlined the top networking tips from the book below:
8 Networking Tips
1. Create a Relationship Action Plan
- Set goals for every 3 months and year for the next 3 years. Review them every 3 months.
- Identify the people, places, and things required to meet those goals.
- Reach out to the people who can help you achieve your goals.
2. Create a board of advisers to act as cheerleaders and supervisors
– Be bold and willing to ask; it never hurts to ask.
- Become an active member in clubs, and work up to being a leader.
- Meet 1 new person per week, no matter where or how.
- Research people before meeting them to find common interests.
3. Warm calling
- Mention a familiar person or organization when making first contact
- State your value proposition (what you can do for them)
- Talk only enough to set up a face-to-face meeting
- Aim high, then compromise.
4. Follow up within 12-24 hours of meeting someone
- Cite something specific you talked about
- Ask to meet again
- Offer them something so they want to meet again
5. Make a connection quickly
- Look them in the eyes
- Listen intently
- Ask personal questions
- Reveal your vulnerability
6. Connect with “superconnectors” (well-connected people outside your profession)
- Avoid safe, boring talk.
- Talk about religion, romance, politics, and your passions.
- Listen attentively and use people’s names.
7. Help people with the 3 most important things
- Their family
8. Ping your contacts at least a few times each year to stay in touch
- Make connections with people on their birthdays
- Attend parties and events